Monday, September 30, 2013

Fall Dance Party

 
The International Student's Association held it's second annual dance party on Saturday. They had me teach two dances. I chose the Macarena and the Cotton-Eyed Joe. Just four months ago I taught the Electric Slide and the Funky Chicken. Once I teach the YMCA and the Hand Jive (probably in another six months or so), I don't know where that will leave my resevoir of 80's group dances!

 
 
 
The "sexy" dance that began the event
 

 
Slowing it down with a partner dance
 

 
The Koreans brought a new hit--"jumping, jumping, jumping..."
 

 
As Chinese dance parties go, a group first performs and then teaches those who want to learn that dance. Everyone else just watches. Talk about wall flowers. Who knew China would be a whole garden?
 

 
Waka Waka by a girl from Mali.
 

 
The Association has some talented Taiji athletes. This girl flew!
 

 
The star in yellow.
 

 
Two Russian girls in traditional garb doing a fun quick-footed dance.
 

 
Near the end, one of the boys from the Association got down on his knee with a huge bouquet and "proposed" that this girl be his girlfriend.
 
 

DA3 got to the campus just before the dance party finished. While I waited for him a boy and a girl approached me and asked me for a favor. They said their club was having a welcome party for their new students. They had asked a couple of foreigners to come, since it's an English club, but now they couldn't get in touch with them. They practically begged me to come to the event, which had already started, to introduce myself, talk with them, and to play games. I told them I'd have to see if DA3 wanted to go and to wait a few minutes for him to come. After a long day, DA3 was not particularly enthusiastic about postponing dinner, but he agreed anyway. We gathered our things and went to the meeting. We were warmly welcomed and immediately rushed on stage. When it was all over, they thanked us profusely with candy and two bottles of Coke. It was kind of fun saving the day!
 
 
 
After the introductions and some games, a group of us sang an English song together. Can you guess which classic 70's hit it was?
 
 
 
Ignoring my Charlie Brown singing face, I'll tell you we were singing The Carpenters' "Yesterday Once More" (hence the Peanuts face).
 

 
DA3 had no intention of getting up, but they kind of forced him, so he went and introduced himself. Afterwards he said he was really nervous. The poor guy did a fantastic job playing charades in English, though! (Even if he did forget the word "cry" haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment