Friday, August 9, 2013

Eid Mubarak

 
This post is a couple of days late, but this is how DA3 and I celebrated Eid al-Fitr, the holiday that marks the end of Ramadan. We went to Changchun's mosque to take part in their annual festivities. It was my first time to this mosque, so I was pretty intrigued. I like how mosques in China have both Chinese and Islamic architectural and design elements. There is a mosque in Xi'an that I visited a few years ago that had a very similar structure. We watched some of the performances, including a man who decided to run up on stage, steal the microphone from the MC, and proceed to denounce the government for something. It all happened so fast that I didn't catch what he said. But I didn't miss him getting carted away by the police! That's not going to go well. After the performances, we made the rounds between food stalls. There were a lot of Halal meats and some sweet treats. We bought some beef sausage, moon cakes, and some nut-fruit bark. Eid Mubarak!
 
 
 
 
The gate to the mosque. The sign in the back reads "Celebrate Eid al-Fitr" in Chinese.
 

 
The main prayer room of the mosque
 

 
A fashion show of wedding attire for Chinese Muslims
 

 
Nut-fruit bark. Really tasty, but kind of expensive!
 

 
BBQ "Chuan" dudes
 

 
“欢度斋节”

No comments:

Post a Comment