Monday, August 26, 2013

Niu Nai: China's Milk "Udderly" Foreign


While my Singaporean friend, Su, was studying abroad in Canada a few years ago she posted a Facebook update that caught my attention. She had posited the question 2% milk is two percent what exactly? At this point I was back in the U.S. after spending a semester in Singapore, where I had mostly stopped drinking milk. Being new to foreign countries, particularly those of Asia, I just couldn't see how milk could come in a box and, moreover, not be kept in the refrigerator. But I had gotten used to it, so with my newfound knowledge of our cultural differences, I commented on Su's post, explaining how whole milk, 2%, 1%, and skim milk are different from each other. To my surprise, she was pretty thankful for the information.

I want to tell you that story so that what I'm about to do makes sense. Below are pictures of how milk is sold in China. Strange, you might think. Yes, but not if you compare it to your dairy section at home. This is how milk is typically sold all over Asia, and since I've been here for a while, I suppose that's why it took me so long to write about it. Usually it is sold in individual packets. Some packages are thick-skinned, while others don a thin plastic cover. There are also boxes with straws. Very rarely you can find a 1 liter box, and those are often imported from Europe. A couple of brands sell skim or low-fat kinds, but again, mostly it's all the same. With all the choices and the sheer amount of individual packets, milk sections in China run on for half the store. NOT kidding. So get prepared to be "milked dry" for the day after seeing these!

 
 
 
The refrigerated milk section
 

 
"Pure" Milk (thin plastic package)
 

 
Nut flavors (from left to right): walnut, black sesame, red bean (thick-skinned package)
 

 
DA3's and other foreign students' preferred brand, also named "Pure" Milk. I have no idea what makes this 'pure' so different from the above's 'pure.'
 

 
The boxed stuff. One of the few national brands that makes 1 liter boxes.
 

 
Non-refrigerated 12 box pack. Perfect for 3 person families!
 

 
Look! Free yogurt attached!
 

 
Chocolate milk and what's that? Papaya milk!? It's only 45.60 RMB, less than $10. Actually I have no idea if that's cheap for a 12 box pack.
 

The flavor is different than in North America, too. I wish I could share that through a picture. It's thicker and, maybe because it's not usually cold, seems more flavorful. Or maybe I've just been living in Asia or too long. There are also a large array of fruit-milk mixtures. I really can't say which is healthier, though--boxed, warm milk or refrigerated gallons? Which would you guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment