Sunday, August 25, 2013

Run in the Park

This morning I take a jog in the local Nanhu Park (South Lake Park). Parks in the China are not only places of fresh air and beautiful scenery, but are also where the whole community gathers at any given time to practice hobbies and to play. At all times of the day (and today being Sunday there are even more), throngs of people come to Nanhu to sing, dance, "camp," take pictures, have picnics, play their instruments, practice Taiji (Tai chi), walk, run, exercise, and hang out with friends. This morning is no exception. I particulary enjoy the choir, the videos of which I'll post on the Facebook page for the blog.
 
 
 
 
The clarinet, my old friend, and its ol' man.
 

 
Trombone and tripod. Get ready to jam!
 

 
Harmony ensues
 

 
Love me some alto sax!
 

 
Now the ensemble comes together, but wait--Where's Mr. Guitar?
 

 
Meanwhile, I continue my run. No sooner do I get off the paved path, then I come across a group of Lao TaiTai's doing Taiji in a grove of trees. I don't want to bother them too much, but I do manage to snap a couple of pictures. Then I'm off again through the trees myself.
 
 

 

 
 
I continue my run around the lake itself. I don't stop for pictures, because, well, I've got a great stride going. The sun bounces off the lake like a ping pong ball. Mothers make their sons pose for pictures next to the lake. Old men sit on stools flying kites so high they try to play with the clouds. Pink lotus shade themselves under cattails. My heart races, and not just because of the run.  


No comments:

Post a Comment