Friday, March 15, 2013

Meeting with the Supervisor


Earlier in the week I got a call from my college's office telling me my supervisor (also the department director) is looking for me. Whoops! I had forgotten to give them my new phone number. So I called Mr. Wang and he told me to come to class on Thursday afternoon at two.

Today I went to this first meeting of his "team." There were a handful of PhD candidates and a few Master's students as well. He asked us to give an outline of what we plan on researching for our thesis. I hadn't really understood this is what we'd be doing, so I kind of haphazardly put something together. By the time I got to explain, my mouth just fumbled through it all. It's amazing I got any clear-cut idea out. But he seemed to be okay with the direction I plan on taking. The thing is that I don't know if it's because it's actually a good idea or if it's just because he doesn't expect much from me. 

Not to give too much away, I plan on working along the lines of Magical Realism as a tool for collective memory with a focus on literature in the Northeast Asia region. Oops, I hope I haven't said too much! Anyway, this semester we'll have this "class" twice a month. It's time to get working on the thesis!

No comments:

Post a Comment